Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Christine - Lesson 6 (Be Specific)

Being Specific in Christine (Signet): It's always good to be specific. This is what makes the story come alive. On page 9, Dennis gives a flashback about when his cat died:

"When I was nine, we had a cat named Captain Beefheart, and he got hit by a UPS truck."

What makes that passage vivid is its specificity with the cat's name and the vehicle that killed it.

Here's another when Dennis wants to be somewhere else:

I sat there behind the wheel of my car, not sure what I should do, whishing I was someplace else, anyplace else, trying on shoes at Thom McAn's, filing out a credit application in a discount store, standing in front of a pay toilet stall with diarrhea and no dime.

Okay, the last one in that list is pretty funny, but I might have changed the discount store to a specific chain, say J.C. Penny.

Exercise: Check your story for non-specific people, places, and things. Make them specific.

No comments: