Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Christine - Lesson 5 (Flashbacks)

Flashbacks in Christine (Signet): in Chapter 2 of Christine, ("The First Argument"), Dennis is in the middle of an argument between Arnie and his parents. Then Regina turns to him and say, "Dennis, I'm surprised at you." This sets off a flashback:

This stung me. I had always liked Arnie's mom well enough, but I had never completely trusted her, at least not since something had happened when I was eight years old or so.

Arnie and I had ridden our bikes downtown to take in a Saturday afternoon movie. One the way back, Arnie had fallen off his bike while swerving to avoid a dog and had jobbed his leg pretty good. I rode him home double on my bike, and Regina took him to the emergency room, where a doctor put in half a dozen stitches. And then, for some reason, after it was all over and it was clear that Arnie was going to be perfectly fine, Regina turned on me and gave me the rough side of her tongue. She read me out like a top sergeant. when she finished, I was shaking all over and nearly crying - what the hell, I was only eight, and there had been a lot of blood. I can't remember chapter and verse of that bawling-out, but the overall feeling it left me with was disturbing. As best I remember, she started out by accusing me of not watching him closely enough-as if Arnie were much younger instead of almost exactly my own age - and ended up saying (or seeming to say) that it should have been me.


A good flashback doesn't take us away from the narrative for too long. This one (2 paragraphs) is a short and sweet. I'm often tempted to write a flashback that goes on for pages and pages - especially when still trying to figure out who the character is. These rambling tomes should be cut (see Kill Your Darlings) Also, a flashback should have a point. In this case the short narrative gives a characterization of Regina Cunningham.

Exercise: When you come upon a flashback in your story, check to see that it's short enough and has a purpose.

No comments: